Tuesday, October 19, 2004

MASH

I was going to write about how sick I am of the elections this year. But I am so sick of it, that I don't even want to blog about it.

So instead I want to share my feelings about M*A*S*H. What a great show. If you can get by the really bad laugh track. It’s just a timeless classic. I record 3 episodes a day, and if I am home during the day, the Hallmark channel has two hours of it. What other show is so well syndicated? That’s because its classic. I end up seeing three or four episodes a week that are repeats from other channels and I still enjoy them. A couple of wacky Dr's no leadership, a cross dressing man, and a lush priest. Crazy. For some reason I always felt an emptiness when it would end while I was in high school. Not like the emptiness I felt when an episode of Different Strokes would end, that was more for Dana Plato. This was a real empty feeling like I could not wait till next week to see the next episode. Think of the theme song, "Cause suicide is painless, it brings on many changes, and you can take or leave it if you please"
When that song would start, it would just put me in a trance. Not that I want to kill myself, because even at its worst, life aint that bad. But I would hear that song though and just settle down in the chair and I was gone for the next 30 minutes. Don’t know why, don’t care. Its just one of my all time favorites.

6 Comments:

Blogger kacy faulconer said...

Oh, man. Don't get me started! I am a MASH freak. I hadn't thought to TIVO it because it is always on. So when do you cry during MASH? Obviously when Henry dies, more specifically when Trapper and Hawkeye salute him as he's leaving and when Radar comes in with the message "Col. Henry Blake's plane went down. . . There weren't no survivors." (Too bad Henry's spin off "Hello Larry" was no good.) Also a tear-jerking moment: When BJ refuses to say goodbye to Hawkeye but then spells it out with rocks in the last episode. Of course it's sad when Hawkeye goes insane and is talking to shrink Sidney about why he's insane. You know, the bus incident? First it's a rooster, then it's a dog or something then we find out it's a baby! I never liked those "serious" MASHes as well--but that doesn't mean I didn't cry during them. And I'm sure you cried too because you are a sissy.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

WOW... I feel like I am interrupting a private conversation between Cameron and Kacy.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Cameron H said...

Col Blake dying Very sad, Radar, saluting him has he took off, very sad.

I have to say that there are two episodes that drive me crazy. (Besides the chicken/dog/baby that Hawkeye kills on teh bus) 1- the dream one where they all dream during the epsiode, and the other one is where Hawkeye is sneezing because his cousin shoved him in the water.

2:53 PM  
Blogger kacy faulconer said...

It's not quite the same as MASH nor does its theme song invoke the comfort that "Suicide is Painless" does, but I'm starting to feel strongly about Law and Order. When I hear, Bome Bome--dun dun dun duh duh--Bome Bome. . . it helps me really settle in and focus on TV.

12:47 PM  
Blogger kacy faulconer said...

Oh, and speaking of really bad laugh tracks: I noticed the other day that the Flinstones has a laugh track. I mean, who do they think they are fooling? Me, I guess. When I was younger it seemed totally normal and, in fact, made me laugh even harder when the "audience" did.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Cameron H said...

I always wanted to be part of the "live studio audience" for the Flintstones, image how dumb I felt when I found out it was not filmed live.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home