Friday, January 14, 2005

Cholesterol, the king and ruler of my heart and artries

So I have not talked about Del Taco for awhile. I have not been there for a long time, last time I went, I had a bad experience. I don’t know why anyone eats at any restaurant. Have you seen the kitchens in these places? THEY SUCK. They are so scarey, and dirty and things are being dropped on the floor and people are going to the bathroom and washing their hands all the time in these joints, really they are. ( I threw the “really they are” in there because we are reading Catcher in the Rye).
I have seen cooks slip and fall because of the crap on the floor, I remember one time at a pizza joint with Becca and her family we were watching them pull their pizza out of the oven and it fell on the floor and the guy grabbed it really quick not knowing we were watching and then looked around to see and saw us with our mouths dropped open, so he threw it away. He totally would have given it to them if no one had seen. Ask anyone who has worked fast food, they all have horror stories (Please feel free to leave them). Megans mom bit into a meal at the Mulboons in Salt Lake, a sort of nice place, and she bit into a used, bloody bandage. I have worked at a place that had me paint above the cook while he was chopping lettuce for a salad. I know that paint flipped in and not being able to speak Spainish I just finished and got out of there as fsat as possible. So why do we torture ourselves with this fast food, or any restaurant food? It’s usually not that healthy as it is.

When I see something happen at a restaurant or fast food, that makes me sick, I usually avoid it for awhile. I stopped going to Taco Bell for about 2 years because I got sicked out, plus the service sucked. I did not go to Del Taco for 3 or 4 months because the food was spoiled. But I think the worst thing I ever saw was at a Wienerschniztal. There was a rather hot girl I worked with that most guys liked, who came up to me on night after work and asked if I wanted to go out to eat. I said yes and we took off together. Driving down Provo Canyon, I asked her where she wanted to eat, I was thinking Chilies of Applebees type food. She answered how about we get some chili cheese dogs from the Wienerschniztal. My heart stopped, a heavenly glow appeared around her face, and I think I could her choirs of angels singing. I had found my true sole mate. So we went there and we were enjoying ourselves when she stopped talking and started focusing on something behind me. I turned around to see a guy in a trench coat standing at the garbage can. I asked her what was up. She said, I think that guy is peeing into the garbage can. So now I had to turn around even more to check this out. I looked (along with everyone else in the dining area) at this guy for a minute. Then I had to turn around and gently explain to my date though he was doing something, it was not peeing. She had a lost look on her face, so I, once again gently, explained to her that the reason his arm was moving was because he was gratifying himself into the garbage can of the Wienerschniztal. He finished with about 6 people starring with mouths open, and closed his trench coat and walked out. We did not finish our dogs. I did not go back for many years, 4 or 5. It’s sad because I love the Wienerschniztal.

I just don’t understand why people eat at fast food joints.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cameron H said...

No, we went out a few times, but the “show” was to large to surmount, and we just mever made it to the next level.



CBH

4:33 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Pizza on the floor… that was Little Caesar’s during our a period of Hill/Faulconer family fast Sunday ritual which lasted about four to six months in the year 1990, possible 89… those were fun days.

Used bloody bandage… made me go eewugheewugheewugh (with tongue hanging out and nose scrunched up and eyes squinting) really loud from my desk. People stopped and looked and pointed and said something.

And last, your Weinershnitzel experience is why you can never move to San Francisco… for this to be a memorable experience means you have only seen it done once into a garbage can in a public setting… I have come to expect a little pleasure in my public trash cans, in some areas a lot of pleasure.

It was Weinershnitzel after all.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

One summer during college, I worked waiting tables at Cracker Barrel. There was a certain busboy, or I should say busman, who would always proposition me, "Marrrrrcccccyyyy, I buy you for five dollars?" Apparently the bus man liked a little hanky panky out at the dumpster in the back behind the restaurant. And apparently there were a few who took him up on the offer.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Christian F said...

What's with the long post? I thought you were opposed to these.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Suzie Petunia said...

Laughter...Revulsion...you're killing me! That is unreal (but, then again, I haven't spent that much time in San Fran...). I've been living in my little (12,000 people) hometown for almost 2 years. I had tried out all of the restaurants, but not the Taco Time until just a couple weeks ago. SSSLLLOOWWW service, an unpleasant view of large, middle-aged women dunking burritos(?) into a deep frier. And the entire 10 minutes I sat and watched all this at the take-out window there was a tortilla sitting on a near-by counter with a squirt of dried-out refried beans in the middle. It just sat and sat and sat...I'm sure someone enjoyed it eventually.

And I watched "Supersize Me" last night. That will cure all of us from ever craving fast food if your blog doesn't first!

2:35 AM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

Great blog...

I worked as a cook at Brick Oven Pizza here in Provo for over a year and 1/2. I worked my way up from pizza cook, to prep cook, to grill cook. Honestly, I wish I had some gross stories to tell, but alas, things were pretty clean and ship shape (at least when I was around!).

Cooking in my home kitchen is probably way grosser. I was very aware of evertime I needed to touch my face or scratch something while working in a restaurant kitchen, but I never even think about that at home! Gross, now noe of you will come over for dinner!

Have you not tried the Chicken Soft Tacos at Del Taco? Yum yum to my tum tum.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home